Urologist Guram Karazanashvili, Doctor of Medical Sciences and Professor, is a renowned oncourologist and pediatric urologist. He is a doctor of the highest category and the winner of the National Prize of Georgia, as well as the president of the Association of Oncourologists of Georgia.
Urologist education and world recognition
Through Professor Karazanashvili’s efforts, ultra-modern methods for diagnosing and treating prostate cancer, such as the non-surgical robotic method (FOCAL ONE Ruth), Micro-ultrasound of the prostate, and Fusion prostate biopsy (targeted biopsy with simultaneous MRI and micro-ultrasound control) were introduced for the first time in Georgia and the region.
Professor Karazanashvili is the only Georgian urologist to present an innovation at the American Association of Urology. In 2018, he introduced his new surgical method, Radical Cystectomy, which was developed over many years of professional practice and is recognized as the most difficult intervention in oncological surgery. The presentation of this method at the MMT Hospital congress amazed
This year, due to the medical and scientific activities of Professor Karazanashvili, Georgia will once again be the focus of the world’s urologists. The American Association of Urology has accepted two papers from the MMT Hospital for this year’s congress. The targeted biopsy of the prostate under micro-ultrasound control is now a new standard for early diagnosis of prostate cancer, and bladder cancer surgery (cystectomy) has been revolutionized through an innovative technique developed by Professor Karazanashvili, reducing life-threatening complications in this major surgical intervention.
- Clinical Fellowship in Robotic Oncology Surgery – Florida Hospital (Head – Vipul Patel), Orlando, USA, 11.2017
- Clinical internship in laparoscopic urology – Vivantes Clinic Friedrichshain and Urban Berlin (under the guidance of Prof. Jan Roigas), Germany, 08.2012
- Clinical and scientific work on oncourology and pediatric urology – Urological Clinic of the Bonn University Hospital, Germany, 11.2005-02.2007.
- Academic exchange — American-European Association of Urology (Mayo Clinic, Duke University, University of Chicago, Vanderbilt University), USA. 05.2003
- Clinical Internship in General Urology – Urology Clinic of the University of Vienna (under Prof. M. Marberger), Vienna, Austria, 09.2003
- Clinical and scientific work on prostate cancer – Urology Clinic of the University Hospital of Malmö (Head Prof. P-A. Abrahamsson), Malmö, Sweden, 09.2000-10.2001
- Clinical and scientific work in general urology and diseases of the urinary tract – Urological Clinic of the Bonn University Hospital (Chief Professor Chief-Prof. S.Müller). Bonn, Germany. 10.1997-01.1998
- Clinical Internship in Operative Urology and Endourology – Urology Clinic of the University Hospital of Maine Offenbach (Head Prof. U.W. Tunn)). Office in Maine, Germany, 10.1996-12.1996
- Clinical internship in oncourology and general urology – Nijmegen University Hospital, Urology Clinic (under the direction of Prof. F.M.J. Debruyne)), Nijmegen, The Netherlands. 09.1995 – 12.1995
- Clinical Fellowship – Department of Urology, Institute of Central Medical Sciences (Head: Prof. V. Ryabinsky), Moscow, Russia. 1989–1991
- Residence — Department of Urology, Institute of Central Medical Sciences (Head: Prof. V. Ryabinsky), Moscow, Russia. 1987–1989
- “Full Professor” – Geomedi University, since 2012
- Clinical Professor at TSMU since 2015
- Leading Urologist – JSC “Modern Medical Technologies”. Tbilisi, Georgia, from March 1, 2012
- General Director – JSC “Modern Medical Technologies”. Tbilisi, Georgia, March 1, 2012 – October 1, 2012
- Medical Director – Lechkombinat No. 1. Tbilisi, Georgia, April 2011-December 2011
- General Director – Medical Diagnostic Center of Tbilisi State University named after Iv. Javakhishvili. Tbilisi, Georgia, 2005-2011
- Leading Specialist in Urology – Modern Medical Technologies LLC. Tbilisi, Georgia, January 1, 2007-March 2012
- Professor of the Department of Urology – Clinic of Urology, Tbilisi State Medical University. Tbilisi, Georgia, July 2006-July 2009
- Professor – Clinic of Urology, Tbilisi State Medical University. Tbilisi, Georgia, January 25, 2005-July 2006
- Associate Professor – Clinic of Urology, Tbilisi State Medical University. Tbilisi, Georgia, February 10, 2004-December 30, 2004
- Assistant – Urology Clinic of Tbilisi State Medical University. Tbilisi, Georgia, January 22, 2001-February 2, 2004
- Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Tbilisi State Medical University, Tbilisi, Georgia, 1993-1999
- Urologist – Attestation Committee of the Ministry of Health of Georgia, 1994
- Urologist — Urological Department of the Central Republican Clinical Hospital. Tbilisi, Georgia, 1991–2001
- Clinical Postgraduate Studies – Department of Urology, Central Medical Institute (Head: Prof. V. Ryabinsky), Moscow, Russia, 1989-1991
- Clinical Residency – Department of Urology, Institute of Central Medical Sciences (Head: Prof. V. Ryabinsky), Moscow, Russia, 1987-1989
- Internship – Department of Abdominal Surgery of the Central Republican Clinical Hospital (Head: Prof. T. Akhmeteli). Tbilisi, Georgia, August 25, 1987-January 6, 1988
Scientific work in urology
- Author of publications in the most rated professional and scientific journals in Europe and America – https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Guram_Karazanashvili.
- First International Congress of the Georgian Association of Urological Oncologists 2017
- Current trends in the treatment of widespread prostate cancer “Second Caucasian Symposium”, 2016
- “Modern trends in the treatment of prostate cancer” “First Caucasian Symposium” 2014
- 7th Joint Polydisciplinary Scientific Conference, Bakuriani 2015.
- Member of the Clinical Research Unit of the European Association of Urology since 2008.
- Reviewer of the journal “European Urology” since 2006.
- Urology expert of the Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs of Georgia, since 2004
- Doctor of Medical Sciences – Medical Qualification Council M 14. 40 No. 1, IV. Tbilisi State University Javakhishvili, Tbilisi, 2002
- Candidate of Medical Sciences, urologist – Moscow Regional Research Institute. Moscow, Russia 1991
Special awards of Guram Karazanashvili, scholarships:
- Grant from the National Science Foundation. Shota Rustaveli, 2016
- Grant from the National Science Foundation. Shota Rustaveli, 2014
- Laureate of the National Prize of Georgia – for a series of scientific articles “Actual problems of prostate cancer” 25.05.2011
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Fellowship to Urologist 2005
- Winner of the US and European Academic Exchange Program (AUA Tower) 2003
- Austrian American Foundation Scholarship – 2003
- Swedish Institute Scholarship – 2000
- Prize for the best report – “Progress and contradictions in oncology” Rotterdam, The Netherlands, October 15-17, 1998
- Austrian American Foundation Scholarship, 1998
- German Academic Exchange Scholarship – 1997
- Fellowship of the German Society of Urology, 1996
- Fellowship of the European Association of Urology-1995.
- V. Zhgenti scholarship, Tbilisi State Medical Institute, 1985-1987
Membership in the Society of Professional Doctors and the Association – Urologist, Professor Guram Karazanashvili:
- Urologist – President of the Association of Urological Oncologists of Georgia, since 2017
- International member of the American Association of Urology since 2010
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Former Association of German Scientists, 2008-2011
- Active member of the European Association of Urology since 1996
- Member of the Georgian Association of Urology since 1992
Innovations of Guram Karazanashvili in Georgia:
- 1996, Introduction of a method for the quantitative determination of PSA in the blood
- Introduction of transurethral surgery at the former Vake Lechkombinat in 1997
- Introduction of transurethral surgery and ureterorenoscopy in the Republican Hospital 2000-2004
- Establishment of a modern urological department on the territory of the former Vake Lechkombinat in 2007
- Founding of the EM-EM-TE Hospital in 2012
- Introduction of surgical treatment of oligometastatic prostate cancer in Georgia and promotion of this trend worldwide since 2011
- Introduction of microscopic ultrasound in Georgia and the Caucasus in 2020
- Implementation of Focal One HIFU Ruth, the only one in Georgia and the region, in 2021
Congresses Hosted by Guram Karazanashvili:
- 1st International Symposium on Oncological Urology – Held on June 20, 2014 in Tbilisi, the symposium focused on innovative surgical methods for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
- 2nd International Symposium on Oncological Urology – In 2014, the event was dedicated to the main task of modern medicine – “Effective multimodal treatment of advanced forms of prostate cancer”.
- 1st International Congress of the Georgian Association of Urological Oncologists – 2017
- 2nd International Congress of the Georgian Association of Urological Oncologists – 2018
- EAU21 – The largest urological congress in Europe, focused on the latest scientific advancements – 2021.